Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Prove it!

Congratulations to Obama. History has been made. Black people in this country can no longer say that it isn't possible for them to achieve any dream. 40 short years ago no one would've dared to think that America would have it's first black president. There are no excuses any more for any one in this country for not achieving their dreams. Race, poverty, immigrant, farmer.... from a small state or urban city center.... we can all make it happen.

Now the onus is on Obama. He made a lot of lofty promises and speeches. He raised people's 'hope' to levels not seen in politics in a long time. Expectations are extremely high. Can he do it? I don't think he can, that's why I didn't vote for him.

Congratulations. You talked the right talk. Now you have to prove it to us that you can really do what you promised.

1 comment:

Marty Jensen said...

Obviously, I don't understand how if feels to be black in this country. It's foolish to stereotype an entire race of Americans, however, we have seen other races (Asian, Hispanic) who seem to thrive in America, while blacks seem to struggle. There are those of every race, including blacks, who are more focused on their obstacles than their opportunities.

I think there are a lot of frustrated blacks, who see renewed hope in Obama's election. I agree with you--he has proven that race does not prevent one from achieving success. I hope blacks, and all races, will increasingly change focus to the opportunities of America, rather than the struggles. The excuse for race as a cause of low achievement has been shattered.

I will support my new president, as I know you will, provided he governs within his constitutionally mandated limits. I will pray for him and his family.