Friday, January 4, 2008

Movie Review: I am Legend

Not exactly a new movie... I know. But, I saw this a while ago and kept wanting to do a movie review on it.

Overall, it's a good suspenseful drama. Those that go to this movie expecting a horror show will be disappointed as there are some tense scenes, but not anything that will make you jump out of your seat. It is definetely intense. There is a scene where his dog accidentally runs into a dark building (dark = vampires) and he goes into the building to find him. The whole scene had me sitting on the edge of my seat right up until the end.

This is also your first exposure to the vampires of the movie, which are done entirely with CG. This has to be my only real complaint with the movie. Why can't actors play the vampires with some makeup? I feel that the creativity of Hollywood is floundering due in large part to the advent of CG. It's much easier to draw stuff on a computer than create it in real life. Soon we'll have nothing but Beowulf-esque movies. Ok, end of tangent/rant.

The movie delivers. You are entertained from beginning to end. Will Smith proves that he doesn't have to be funny all the time and he can create intense drama through his improved acting. Overall I'd give it an 8/10. Go see it.

2 comments:

Li said...

I would have, but you went without me. :P

Anonymous said...

I liked it so much I went and saw it twice! But then that backfired on me and Im not so hopped up about it. But It really is a good movie.....and I totally jumped out of my seat a few times, but then again im a girl :P -Madi