Monday, September 29, 2008

Something Different

My wife asked me why I don't post about different current events right now. I really didn't have an answer. I've been caught up in politics because it's something I've studied and enjoy. My other interest is in history. Which is something no one really likes to hear about. Well tough! I'm gonna talk a bit about it anyway.

This weekend we went to Memphis and made a trip out to the Shiloh Battlefield. The Battle of Shiloh was one of the largest battles the US had faced since it was a nation. (It was later eclipsed in this tragic war) Over 2,000 souls were lost and 5 times as many were lost to wounds.

Walking through the cemetery and visiting the battle site was one of the most humbling experiences of my life. I can't fathom the courage it takes to run across a field into the face of muskets, cannons and bayonets to attack your enemy. Every time I think about it it makes me immensely grateful for the brave men and women of our military. They risk it all, so that we can have the freedoms that we enjoy. If you know anyone serving in the military.... thank them for their service. It doesn't matter if they fought in Iraq or were part of the National Guard. They deserve our thanks.

The reason I have the picture at the top of the blog is to remind us that this is the greatest nation on earth and the men in that picture are the reason for that greatness. It's a nation worth fighting for, whether you pick up a rifle or pick up a pen to write you Congressman, fight to protect her.

1 comment:

Li said...

Thanks for humoring me. :)